the regionalism meme
born and raised in florida, by a native floridian and an early childhood hoosier transplant, with many a summer spent on the gulf and in louisiana bayou country.
1. A body of water, smaller than a river, contained within relatively narrow banks? a canal, a creek, or a bayou, depending on where we are and whether its more nature or humna made
2. The thing you push around the grocery store? shopping cart
3. A metal container to carry a meal in? lunch box
4. The thing that you cook bacon and eggs in? frying pan unless it's an iron skillet
5. The piece of furniture that seats three people? couch
6. The device on the outside of the house that carries rain off the roof? gutter
7. The covered area outside a house where people sit in the evening? porch - usually a front porch
8. Carbonated, sweetened, non-alcoholic beverages? soda
9. A flat, round breakfast food served with syrup? pancake
10. A long sandwich designed to be a whole meal in itself? sub or a py-boy, depending on the bread
11. The piece of clothing worn by men at the beach? bathing suit
12. Shoes worn for sports? sneakers
13. Putting a room in order? straightening up
14. A flying insect that glows in the dark? firefly.
15. The little insect that curls up into a ball? roly poly
16. The children's playground equipment where one kid sits on one side and goes up while the other sits on the other side and goes down? see saw
17. How do you eat your pizza? with my hands, pointy end up to the crust. I rarely eat the crust.
18. What's it called when private citizens put up signs and sell their used stuff? yard sale
19. What's the evening meal? supper when I was a child, now I usually say dinner
20. The thing under a house where the furnace and perhaps a rec room are? basement but we never had any where I come from
21. When you are waiting at the bank, you are standing ____ line? in
22. In a school, if you want a drink of water, where does it come from? water fountain
23. What are the chocolate things that you put on ice cream called? sprinkles
24. Place where you put your towels to dry, above the boiler? huh?
25. Piece of cloth with which you wash your face? washrag
26. Day after Christmas? just that, the day after Christmas
27. Thing women (mostly) use to tie their hair back with: Ponytail holder
28. An unusually heavy rain which does not last long? this is not so regional, but in my family we call it a "fucking monsoon!" or a "fucking torrential downpour!"
29. A window covering on rollers that pulls down? window blind
30. A new, limited access, multi-lane road? interstate highway
31. Heavy garments worn for work? coveralls if they are the ones that you know, cover AlL; overalls otherwise.
32. The area in the house where people usually sit? living room or front room
33. paper thing you carry something home from the store in? grocery bag