Wednesday, May 21, 2003

I've been asked for suess's black bean cake recipe. it looks like I lost my hip mama recipe files in the last complete computer breakdown, so I'm typing it out for you:

3/4 pound dried black beans, washed, picked over, and soaked for 12 hours in 2 quarts of water, or canned (I use canned)
2 tablespoons salt (I use less)
1/2 cup minced onion
1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/4 cup all purpose flour (I use a little more)
4 tablespoons safflower oil for frying (I use olive)

drain beans and transfer to a large bowl. add other ingredients, except oil. mash together to make a lumpy paste (suess uses her hands, I use a potato masher).
shape in to balls, then flatten to 3" in diameter.
place in hot skillet with 2 T of oil and fry about 4 minutes on each side, til golden brown. then transfer to baking sheet and bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes (I just realized that I missed this step). serve with lettuce, tomatoes, strawberries, avacadoes, anything you like, and dressing. you can top them with sour cream or yogurt and chives, salsa, whatever. suess recommends mango salsa. I have them with just the dressing.

the dressing:

2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons key lime juice (or just ordinary lime)
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon freshly cracked black peppercorns
3/4 cup safflower oil
salt to taste

whisk together all but the oil and salt. add the oil in a slow, steady stream while whisking til incorporated. season with salt. cover tightly and set aside at room temperature until needed.

No comments: